Twice the Chocolate CookiesPosted: December 12, 2011 | |
These cookies are always a hit. It’s not surprizing, since I figure they have about twice the chocolate as most chocolate chunk cookies. They are chocolately, chewy and downright addictive.
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe from In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 8 oz milk chocolate chunks
Preheat the oven to 350. Line two heavy baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or by hand), cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together into a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
Using your hands, shape knobs of dough about the size of a large walnut into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Stagger the rows of cookies to ensure even baking. Bake 12 to 15 minutes for smaller cookies, 14 to 17 minutes for larger cookies, or until the tops are light golden brown. If the cookies are neither firm nor dark when they are removed from the oven, they will cool chewy and soft. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Can be stored in air-tight container for 1 week.
- I make all of my cookies small in order to maximize the number of cookies. I make them the size of a small walnut or a teaspoon and bake them for about 11 minutes.
- Use a timer and set it lower than the recipe calls for. If they still need more time, you can always bake longer. Record the final time on a post-it note for your next batch.
- I buy the large President’s Choice milk chocolate bars and use 1/2 for each batch (25 squares) (+ 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate squares).